Cub Cadet Z Force SX turning problems

Yaterman

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Cub is experiencing an issue when turning. When I try to turn sharply to the right, the mower seems to want to bog down and go straight, even though the front wheels are turned to the right. The steering wheel does not turn hard, but it seems like something is bound up. Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is 2 parts to the steering on these mowers
The front wheels that turn on a rack gear and the rear wheels that change speed
There is a linkage rod that goes from the front to the wheel motors under the false floor
It has adjustments
even without the front wheels touching the ground the different speeds between the left & right wheels should make the mower turn
It is a horrid set up that needs regular lubrication which no one does .
The adjustment proceedure is very complicated
I looked at it then decided that if any of my customers have problems then they should take their mower to a Cub workshop
Because it uses 2 intergrated motor units these will wear differently over time
Usually the left goes bad first which means you have trouble turning right but it will turn left OK
You can tighten the linkage on the left & back the right off a SMALL amount being careful that you do not go past the neutral position otherwise you will be forever turning right.
This is not your model but the method & special tools needed are the same .
Cub Steering service Video
This is the actual service manual for the steering Z force steering adjustment

Most people think you can just undo the slip joint and make a single adjustment there but that does not work unless you believe the brain dead who post on You tube
Good luck

Last edited: