Cub Cadet with steering wheel

Gord Baker

Threads
My wife has a lady friend that has a ztr that she just can't get the hang of controlling it with the twin levers. Her neighbor comes over and does the manly thing and mows her yard for her. She would like to do this herself and commented to my wife that she sure wished there was a ztr with a steering wheel.
Does the steering wheel Cub only turn the front(former caster) wheels? Open differential? No place here other than big box stores have Cub mowers, so no help there. Anyone with some experience with these mowers? TIA
Suggest to your friend that she holds one lever still and steers with the other.

Freddie21

Threads
I agre with GearHead. If the yard is flat and few obstructions to go around, then a tractor or smaller SW ZT would be better. I have 2 Cub ZTR-S's and and a Toro SW4200 and love them all. Thank God, no repairs on any of them. 3 acres of decent sized hills. I would recommend going larger than the 42" as going around objects, you'll hit the rear tires pretty easily.

AChrome

Threads
I spent 5 minutes explaining my Cub zero to my 6 year old grandson, me sitting on it and then him sitting on it. Cranked it and set speed control on low and he took off. I had him follow me as I walked all directions and circles in our open and flat yard. He doesn't mow, just drives. My wife won't step within 20 yards of it or even sit on it she's so afraid of it. Go figure.

blacktruck

Forum Newbie
Threads
My little bit of experience in running a CC ZT with a steering wheel would make me think it would be a good fit for almost anyone. The set up of the steering linkage and hydro controls is pretty unique to be sure and it seemed to work well on the demo drive I did. It was easier than a conventional ZT run and did very well on the hills.

packy51

Threads
The Z turn mowers do take time to learn how to steer. It's not intuative at all. I almost took my head off with on a low tree branch because I zigged when I should have zagged. I would tell her to take the mower into the middle of her yard or driveway with the blades off and just keep practicing. She should become accustomed to how to move the evers. I'm old too, so that's not an excuse.

Mrmahovy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a CC 54” steering wheel mower. Cuts well, Has a “cruise control” pedal. However have had to get both front spindles rewelded when they broke off during turns. The original welds were just small spot welds instead of completely welded. Fortunately have a local master welder who was able to reattach and rewelded both. No problems since. I think it is an inherent understeer or oversteer of the front wheels which are geared with steering wheel/drive wheel actuator movement. On my tenth year of use with this mower.

GrumpyCat

Threads
There are ZTRs with single joystick control. Country Clipper comes to mind, I have one. Joystick or twinstick were no-cost options on most models. Have seen electric ZTRs with joystick but don't remember which. An electric mower would be a very good option for a woman.

Threads
I have a nephew who bought one of these kits when he broke his hand and had to mow one-handed. He liked it so much he just left it on and continued using it after his hand healed. A little expensive IMO, depending on which model you need, but probably cheaper than buying a new Cub steering wheel model. A local farm supply store sells Cub Cadet steering wheel ZTR mowers, or at least tries to. They have half a dozen on the lot each spring, and maybe sell one a year. They don't appear to be very popular around here. Probably because of the $10,000 price tag.

Robert II

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can decrease the Hydro pressure output so that WOT takes more movement of the levers, I found that helping customers by giving more distance to top speed helps them a lot, most Zero turns reach top speed in 2inches of movement, if you make that four they can do a better job of controlling their piece of equipment.