Cub Cadet SLT 1554 Hydrastatic Transmission Axle Repair

Hairfarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet SLT 1554 Hydrastatic Transmission Axle Repair
Replaced the broken right axle on my SLT 1554 Cub. Cracked the seal on the casing with the transmission still in the frame and replaced the broken axle easily. After I got the casing halves bolted back together I rotated the right axle clockwise and noticed that the left axle rotated in the opposite direction. Keep in mind it's possible that I'm the long lost fourth stooge, so nothing with regard to this repair should be a given. That said, none of the fwd/rev assembly, brake assembly, or actuator bypass assembly have been reinstalled. I got the casing back together with a half dozen bolts and decided to test the rotation. This can't be right, but the gears can only assemble one way...or am I wrong about that? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Seems like a good place to stop for a sanity check.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I answered your other post. Multiple post tend to irritate us techs here, and makes it hard for people to know where to answer, and for you to keep track of the responses.

Mike_Goad

Threads
post anywhere you want. multiple post helps ensure you get an answer.
a differential assembly will spin the opposite direction because there is no weight on it. the way these units are built, hey are considered 1-wheeled wonders. only 1 wheel is actually driven. if either wheel gets stuck, the other will spin. it is very simple design and is cheap to build.