Repairs Cub cadet rzt st 42 trouble going uphill

Ryanpierson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a used 2015 rzt st42 (the kind with the steering wheel) with only 41 operating hours. I’m really not sure if I have a legitimate problem or not, having never operated another zero turn style mower. When going up slopes greater than, I would guess 10 to 15 degrees, the mower slows to a stop. The engine continues to run strong. As the mower slows I can hear a sort of whining noise coming from either one or both of the transmissions. If I let my foot off of the pedal, I can continue to climb moderate hills by slowly re applying pressure to the pedal. Applying too much pressure to the pedal, will cause the mower to slow, and the rear transmissions will begin making a slight whining noise again. When I go up the same hill in reverse, the mower maintains a constant speed, will spin the tires if I want, never slowing, and never whining. Is this normal for this mower? Perhaps a safety feature? Regardless, it’s a bit aggravating. It doesn’t stop me from mowing, however I just don’t feel that it should slow to a stop, and then continue up the hill at a crawl by releasing and slowly re applying pressure to the pedal. I’m assuming I have some sort of problem or needing an adjustment to the rear transmissions. The drive belt doesn’t feel slick or excessively hot after operation. However the drive belt is much more loose than the deck belt when the mower is sitting and turned off. With 41 operating hours I can’t imagine the problem being a fuel filter (the engine continues to run normal), or a problem with one of the plugs on the v-twin (since it runs normal and peels up a hill in reverse). I’m scared to fiddle around with it, find an adjustment, and alter the factory settings, causing the problem to become worse. That is, unless someone has encountered the same problem with this exact mower, and points me in the right direction. Keep in mind, it has only 41 operating hours. The last guy to own it had a smaller flatter subdivision style yard. I can’t imagine that he was able to “break” something in such a short amount of time, with such an average level yard. Any help would be awesome, and much appreciated.

Samurai315

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have this problem. Did you ever get it figured out?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
it is a 4 year old post and the guy never came back. Post your model and serial, and maybe someone can help you. I don't know your mower but to me it sounds like maybe a slipping belt or clutch if it is belt driven.