Cub Cadet LTX 1050VT Throws drive belt.

dahermit

Threads
I have a Cub Cadet LTX 1050VT that is about six years old and had the drive belt changed about one and one half years ago. The problem I am having is that frequently now, the drive belt (not the deck belt), or the tensioning spring will come off when I am applying the brake. When the engine is running and I apply the brake, there is frequently a metal-to-moving metal clanking sound. I have dropped the deck and been underneath there looking, but the only think I see is that the pivot plate of the drive belt pulleys seem to be able to rub against the belt, but it does not seem that anything is loose or damaged. Anyone have any similar experiences? Suggestions? I do not want to assume the drive belt is stretched and have it changed just to find that the problem is still there.

Last edited:

dahermit

Threads
Replaced both idler pulleys and the spring in September of 2014 (put a new drive belt on in 2012). New spring has stayed put, no problems with that. However, yesterday 4/26/2015, drive belt slipped off again. I cannot find any play in any of the pulleys, etc. Why does my machine like to throw drive belts? What is causing this?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get under the mower and watch as some one else pushes down on the brake.
When you brake, you also clutch so the belt runs slack.
Some where a pulley is not true so he slack belt will just run over the rim and off.

Cubs use a unique size belt width 21/32" from memory so if not using original belts you have to use a 1/2" to 1" shorter one.

Nt familar tto your exact mower but I have found tensioning pulleys to be at bad angles due to wear on the pivot and pivot shaft

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cub Cadet LTX1050VT (13VR91AP010, 13WR91AP010, 13VR91AP009, 13WR91AP009) - Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (2010 & After) Drive System Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com Zoom in & take a look at parts 40-43, did you replace pulleys 42 & 43, there are two # 43 pulleys, if not remove all three and inspect bearings by holding pulley in one hand & spin bearing in center of pulley with index finger, should be very smooth when rotating each one, no slack at all & also visually inspect pulleys for wear where belt rides as well as sharp edges, inspect hardware also for wear. Always use Cub Cadet OEM parts when making repairs. Let us know how it goes.

dahermit

Threads
After taking my machine to a Cub Cadet authorized repair center I was advised that there was a factory "upgrade" to fix the belt-throwing problem...a metal guard was added and it solved the belt throwing problem. The guard was installed in April (it is now Oct 8, 2015) and it has kept the belt in place since. Apparently, it was a design flaw if they went so far as to come up with a fix.