Repairs Cub Cadet GT 1222 starter replacement

Frankw

Forum Newbie
How do you remove the starter on a Cub Cadet GT 1222 (B&S engine)? I took off the plastic cowl and looking at the starter I see only one torque screw on the left. Is there a second screw I do not see. The pics of new starters show a plate with a hole for a screw on both sides of the starter. I loosened this one screw and it did not seem to loosen the starter. Am I missing something?
 
There are two mounting screws. One is easy to get to the other one is somewhat behind the starter gear, The briggs tool is a 1/4 drive wobble socket. I have removed that screw with a 1/4 drive ratchet, and a long extension with the starter gear turned so the flat side allows more clearance.
 
There are two mounting screws. One is easy to get to the other one is somewhat behind the starter gear, The briggs tool is a 1/4 drive wobble socket. I have removed that screw with a 1/4 drive ratchet, and a long extension with the starter gear turned so the flat side allows more clearance.

For safety, disconnect negative cable from battery and move out of way.

Cub Cadet Professional Shop Manuals
 
Last edited:
Back
Top