cub 1250

noma

Threads
Hay cub 1250

Welcome aboard hope you enjoy this site and hope to see more from you then just this one question. We need a little more information on where the smoke is coming from, calor of the smoke and what happen up to the time it started to smoke or has it been smoking a while? What do you have for a engine in this mower make model, kind of hard to make any answer from what information you gave us.:rolleyes:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello jayz76...
I'll join noma in Welcoming you to LMF...

Your 1250 is about the identical tractor as my 1450... Same old (Great) Kohler engine ...
Unfortunately it most likely suffers from the same thing my CC has ... LOTS of hours on an engine that did not have a filter ...
My guess is that your rings are getting bad, especially the oil rings... The fix is to rebuild it, it's well worth the effort and cost.
OR you could do as I have been doing, I switched to a full synthetic oil, It still burns just as much... BUT synthetic burns MUCH more clean, so you just don't notice it.
I use it very little and this works well for me... but if you are putting a lot of hours on yours, go ahead and do the rings and valves... you will get another 35 years out of it... :smile:KennyV

jayz76

Forum Newbie
Threads
how much does a rebuild usually run as i will be doin a ground up restro next winter as a tribute to my father and great uncle

jteuban

Threads
You can prob get the whole kit for about $100.00. Not bad but takes time if you are going to be doing it yourself. When I get a kit I always get the better one with piston ring seals. And always reseat your valves if it's an older engine to get full compression.