Cranks once then stops.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you can take out a spark plug, then you can easily take off a rocker arm cover, usually takes a 10mm socket, and 4 fasteners come off. Look for the intake rocker arm-pushrod to be loose.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Hmmmm! As I continue to think about this, I'm guessing that you could simply remove the spark plug and see if that caused the engine to crank normally. If it does, it would lend support to the suggestion that you have an engine problem. If the engine continues to labor with the spark plug removed, probably NOT that suggested engine problem. Wouldn't that be a simple, useful test to try before tearing apart the engine?

What other tests can you devise to help identify the actual problem rather than guessing and investing in making a repair which may not help?
I've never had to tear apart a engine to do a valve adjustment..

Jonathan88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok yes I will likely try the voltage test and try pulling plug out to see if it cycles without any issues. If I gotta do the valve adjustment I should be able to do that i do have some small engine knowledge (mostly 2 stroke) just haven't done enough mowers to be an expert.

Jonathan88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Only getting 7-8 volts to starter. Battery is fully charged reading 12.8 volts. I'm assuming the positive on the starter is ran directly off of the positive from battery so the most likely spot for a weak connection would be at the key switch.

Jonathan88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another thing that's weird is I bypassed ignition switch and connected battery directly to starter... made no difference.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like you need to hire a lawn crew.

slomo

seattlepioneer

Threads
Only getting 7-8 volts to starter. Battery is fully charged reading 12.8 volts. I'm assuming the positive on the starter is ran directly off of the positive from battery so the most likely spot for a weak connection would be at the key switch.

Why guess? Measure the voltage on both sides of the switch and find out for sure!

Then you can jumper out the switch and see if it starts normally. If it does, I'd say you have confirmed the problem, at least as far as I can imagine.