CraftsmanT-130 18.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Issue

DLCarson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am a self-employed lawn mower repairman, and have been repairing small engine equipment for many years. I am currently working on a Craftsman T130 that is causing me major grief! Following is the issue with the mower, along with parts I have replaced:
When I try to start the engine, it tries to start, but will NOT spin completely over. It acts like the engine is locked up, but engine is NOT locked up. Then the starter gets warm/hot along with the cable end at starter.
I am next going to check the forward-neutral-reverse switch and plunger on the rear-end for shifting rod.
I have replaced the following parts:
1) two new belts 5) new positive battery cable terminal
2) two new safety switches (brake and blade engaged) 6) new starter
3) fixed park brake with new "park index control" 7) charged battery
4) New solenoid
ALL TIPS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
From your description most likely one or both of the following causes. Assuming OHV the valve are out of adjustment preventing the ACR from working or the ACR on the camshaft is broke and laying in the bottom of the engine sump waiting to do damaged to other vital parts leading to factory smoke release. Getting us the model number info will allow us to assist you better.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I would check is valve clearance.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
That's a broken compression release for sure. Happened to every Briggs single cylinder I've ever had, and I have seen the same symptoms. It is somewhat easy to replace, just remove lower sump and it's right there on top. Usually a one hour job for me. I'm a self-employed mower mechanic as well... I'm 14 :)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Craftsman, please tell me where in this thread you found the IL quote you posted? I hope you didn’t do that confusing post on purpose. It helps no one.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
@Craftsman Garage In my experience not always. You get some were the intake clearance is sometimes as high as .020. So valve adjustment is the first thing to check, and then check for compression release since it doesn't work with too wide of valve clearances.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Craftsman, please tell me where in this thread you found the IL quote you posted? I hope you didn’t do that confusing post on purpose. It helps no one.
Rivets, Craftsman is having issues when he quotes somebodies post it replaced the quote with his own text. So it gives the appearance of quoting something that was never typed by the quoted person

Kind of like this.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, I understand, but you can see how confusing it looks.