Craftsman zone control cable

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
p/n 583067401
could someone confirm the length of the cable and conduit for me? cable on it appears too long. I'm getting differing lengths from an OEM husqvarna on amazon, and chinese knock off, as well as the Stens length.
Chinese one says, Conduit length : 45.35-inch , Cable length : 52.04-inch ;
Stens shows

59-1/2" Cable Length, 52" Conduit Length

Rotary, and the chinese one match up closely on the description and my measurements.
  • ROTARY: CONDUIT LENGTH: 43-3/8"
  • LENGTH: 52-1/2"
Measuring on the mower it appears the chinese one seems appropriate....

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
20210821-171526.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
OEM length shows 51.1 Don't know if that is conduit length or cable length.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thanks!
guess it's like you ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers......

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is only one way to know for sure and that is to order the OEM cable as my file has the same as IL.

This is something I have do at times when I get multiple sizes for the same PN. I am also getting lists from $15 to $18 for the OEM cable. Depends which distributor I use.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks!
guess it's like you ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers......
I think was happens sometimes is the OEM will build different mowers with different cables, but the replacement cable is a consolidation of all the part numbers used. Meaning the OEM may use 4 different cables at the factory but the replacement cable may be one of those 4 cables with the other three superceding to that part number.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Will do, much appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What my price file have for the superseded numbers.
1629590487330.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The actual length of the overall cable assembly is not all that important provided it is not too short.
All that really matters is the difference between the inner & outer .
This is a perpetual problem with motorcycle cables, every year they get that little bit shorter as suppliers try to reduce their inventory items by amalgamating a dozen different cables into a single size .
For that reason I gave up on bought in cables all together & take all of my broken cables to Conwire Pty ltd . Not only are the bespoke cables always a perfect fit he is a professional so often will make suggestions to improve the set up, is about 1/2 to 1/10 of the price of the premade item and usually can turn it round while I wait so is substantially faster that ordering from a supplier who even if they have one on the shelf, it can be a week before it reaches my front gate.

Worthwhile searching a control wire maker.
Usually you will find one in an industrial zone adjoining a light aircraft airport because they need a lot of control wires .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The chinese aftermarket Fit perfect. zone control works as intended should now... I went ahead and ordered the (2) $13 aftermarket off amazon(checked with owner first as always), because i couldn't stand not knowing and it's only $13 out of my pocket if it doesn't fit properly. well it did. I also ordered the OEM from parts tree and i will compare lengths when i get it in, so maybe this will help out someone down the road confused about cable lengths.
i used a piece of string last night to measure everything out.. and i kept coming up closer to the Conduit, 45.35-inch , Cable length : 52.04-inch ;

Guys, thanks for all the info, much appreciated as always.

Last edited: