Engine Craftsman with B&S runs great for 5 minutes, then dies

Col F

Threads
  • / Craftsman with B&S runs great for 5 minutes, then dies
I'd guess it might need a new ignition coil (armature-magneto). I've had this happen 3 times in the last 28 years. They work until hot and then quit...after they cool...they work again,etc. I don't know if your mower has these or not, but all my riding tractors did and do. Some lasted 2 years...some 25 years. Just an opinion. Good luck.

I concur. I have had similar experiences with the magnetos on several B&S engines over the past 35 years. I have also had "experts" at the parts counter tell me that I'm wasting my money on the non-returnable electrical part, insisting that it is a fuel issue. Each time, the new magneto was the cure. The heat soaking failure and cool-off restoration are hallmark symptoms that I have experienced several times.

stevenwbennett

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a coil in my eBay shopping cart this morning. I started the mower with the intention of timing how long it would run before it got hot and died, while I got ready for work. Strangely enough, it ran perfectly for 45 minutes, until I had to leave. Now I'm really baffled. Maybe it fixed itself. :cool: I'm going to mow tonight, so we'll see how it goes.

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
I had a coil in my eBay shopping cart this morning. I started the mower with the intention of timing how long it would run before it got hot and died, while I got ready for work. Strangely enough, it ran perfectly for 45 minutes, until I had to leave. Now I'm really baffled. Maybe it fixed itself. :cool: I'm going to mow tonight, so we'll see how it goes.

:laughing: LOL! It'll die after 5 minutes

stevenwbennett

Forum Newbie
Threads
:laughing: LOL! It'll die after 5 minutes
Thankfully, you were wrong. The mower started on the first pull and ran perfectly. I have no idea what changed, but I'm happy about it.

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
Thankfully, you were wrong. The mower started on the first pull and ran perfectly. I have no idea what changed, but I'm happy about it.

Glad to hear it man! something you did worked.