Craftsman T1700 won't start

rbrown226

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was mowing today and my mower just stopped like it ran out of gas. I checked and the tank was 3/4 full. I pulled the gas line off at the carb and fuel flowed freely from the hose. I removed the air cleaner and sprayed starter fluid in. The mower started and then died. I re-attached the fuel line and it wouldn't run. I sprayed more starter fluid in and it started but died right away.

I don't think it is a clogged fuel line or filter as when I remove the fuel line from the carb, gas pours out and the tank quickly empties.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great .... Mower is about two years old .. bought new. As I live in Florida, I mow every week or two, so the gas is not old.

Thanks for any help / assistance you can provide!!!

dougand3

Threads
Some debris inside the carb is blocking fuel flow. Maybe bowl debris is blocking main jet. Post engine model # for better answers. Probably on a shroud or valve cover/

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the fuel solenoid is not working.
There is a small cylinder on the bottom of the carb.
This is the shut off solenoid.
It is spring loaded closed and i the closed position it jambs a plug into the end of the main jet and prevents fuel entering the main jet so the engine starves.
When you turn the key to the run position you should hear it click but it is better to pull it off and check tha it is working and does not have crud stuck under the plunger.
Also the wires can fall off ir get crossed & short.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had similar happen on an edger. A brass jet fell off the carb, fortunately the local mower shop had that part.