Craftsman T1200 - Won’t Start

Matnetik

Forum Newbie
Threads
Long time listener, first time caller - watched every video I could find on YT and read through every post here and on Reddit and am looking for some help!

Craftsman T1200
Model: 247.203726
DOM: 02/2018

Purchased used from a gentleman that fixes small engines, said it was in perfect condition and running as it should. Looks almost brand new. I mowed my lawn three times with it, on the forth time I made it about 100ft and it stumbled and died. It will crank but won’t run. Below are the things I have done / checked-

Brand new carb (also took it out, completely disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt)
Fuel Solenoid is functional and clicks when the key is turned (also disassembled and cleaned)
New air filter with pre-filter
Fresh gas (93 oct)
New NGK spark plug
Added fuel cutoff valve and new fuel filter
Battery is less than a year old and fully charged
20A fuse is good to go
Compression is at 150
Oil is at the correct level and was replaced in July

No matter what I do it just won’t run or fully turn over, just spins and spins and spins. Any help or ideas on next steps would be beyond appreciated, a few weeks behind on my cut and a service tech can’t make it out for two weeks, would honestly love to fix it myself but didn’t want to dig into the engine if I don’t have to.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
As soon as it dies and won't start remove the air filter and put a teaspoon of gasoline in the top of the carburetor and try it .

Craftsman Garage

Threads
What engine is on the riding mower? We need the model number off the engine shroud. You have fuel, and compression which leaves air, spark, and timing. I would lean towards timing, so check the flywheel key and the valves. I bet the flywheel key is sheared. Maybe the valves came loose? I would also check for Spark because even though you replaced the sparkplug, the coil could be bad. I think this tractor has the chinese engine that can sometimes be finnicky.

Matnetik

Forum Newbie
Threads
First off thanks for the quick replies - will get the engine model number in a bit here!

I did forget to mention I tested for spark and can confirm it’s getting it via plug tester
I tried gas in the air intake as well as starter fluid with no luck
I also removed the plug and spun it a few times to clear everything out in case it was flooded

My initial thought after all this was the flywheel key (timing) and excuse my ignorance here but I have no clue where it is or how to check it, from my understanding i need to remove the plastic grate on top and get a puller to remove the flywheel to access the key?

I also found this number on the tag along with the model number I listed above - 13A278XS099

Good reference here I found -
and I believe this is the part - https://www.searspartsdirect.com/product/5b5p5lzaws-0071-247/id-951-10307

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Looks like this mower uses the 4P90HU MTD engine. Looks like compression is supposed to be 55-80 so I am wondering especially with the high compression reading if then valves are opening and closing properly. May need to remove the valve cover and inspect the push rods and make sure everything is opening and closing as it should.