craftsman shuts off

kbaird83

Forum Newbie
Threads
Went out to fire the mower this week and ran into a issue. The mower starts,and runs like a top, until i release the parking brake. Then it dies. Has a hydrostatic drive system which is in nuetral. The brake switch seems to work as it dies when released. The blade switch also seems to be good as it dies when blades are engaged. I removed the seat switch and pressed it with my finger as iwas releasing the brake with no luck. Am i checking the switch wrong or is this A sign that the switch is bad? Thanks !

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be the switch, could be a wiring problem with the seat switch, some riders even have a relay tied into the safety circuit.

Threads
Could be the switch, could be a wiring problem with the seat switch, some riders even have a relay tied into the safety circuit.

Yep its most likely the seat switch.

kbaird83

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is removing the switch from the seat and opening the circuit by operating the switch with my thumb a acceptable way of testing? I do not have a ohm meter. Now i have to figure out the model and order a new switch. Anyone know a good place online to get craftsman parts with fast shipping?

kbaird83

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not seat switch. What else? Grass is getting long.

Threads
Not seat switch. What else? Grass is getting long.

Just unplug it from the switch, and run a paper clip, or wire from one side of the pig tail to the other to see if it starts.

kbaird83

Forum Newbie
Threads
UPDATE! Wasnt a safety switch. I eliminated the seat switch, raplaced the clutch switch, replaced the deck switch, replaced the battery and in the end it was a 13 dollar relay that was screwed to the firewall area. Runs like a champ. If anyone needs any perfectly good switches let me know! Lol