Repairs Craftsman self propelled won't allow to back up.

paulmealy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a rear drive self propelled Craftsman 21" push mower. The MODEL # is 917.371812. The owners manual states to get the mower to back up, push the mower forward a short distance. At that point, it should leave the wheels unlocked and be able to back up. That does not happen on a continual basis. Once in a while it works, but about 1 time out of 10. The right rear wheel locks up and drags when attempting to back up. Any ideas???

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't tell us which model, so we will be doing a lot of guessing. First guess, drive system is dirty. Second guess, gear and cogs need lube. Third guess, gears on drive and wheels worn. Fourth guess, belt not releasing. Fifth guess, cable not releasing. Sixth guess, tranny shot. Pick the best guess and continue.

paulmealy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd take a grease monkey over a teacher any day. The model # is 917.371812. The belt area is clean. I took the wheels off and cleaned and greased the gears and wheel assy. They looked good. No chipped or missing teeth. The belt is cracked a little, so I will replace that. The cable and springs on rear pulley are good. I had replaced those last year when I was trying to figure out his problem. What about the belt release? Could be the gearbox. Made in China.