Repairs Craftsman self propelled mower smoked when started today

sillyboy

Threads
  • / Craftsman self propelled mower smoked when started today
Hello all,

I looked up my model #917.375650 Craftsman 5.50 - 185cc and there were no results. Anyway, when I started the mower today it started smoking badly for about 30 seconds and then slowly quit smoking. It started with one pull as usual. It ran OK 2 weeks ago (no smoke), and is kept in my dry shed.

The oil is just a hair below full. I also noticed oil slightly oozing down the side of the mower from behind the muffler. This is not new, but it seems that its more than the last time I looked.

The mower ran OK for the cutting I needed to do.

Is there something going wrong that I need to look into? The mower is about 7 years old, and this is the first bit of trouble I have had.

Any ideas??

Thanks

sillyboy

Threads
Hello??????????????? Anyone out there??????????

Thanks

Last edited:

Craftsman David

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 21" self-propelled smokes after I tip it to hose off the mower housing. It's in its second year. Usually, thinking of a motorcycle I once owned, something affects the rings so that oil gets past them into the combustion chamber.

sillyboy

Threads
Hi David,

I usually only tip my mower to the side at the end of the season to clean out underneath. This is after I have drained the old oil, so I don't get the smoking upon startup.

It seems hard to believe that I am the only one in these forums that has had this issue. Ohhhhh well...

Thanks for the input.

tigercat

Threads
You tipped the mower, and now it smoked when you started it?

Yes that can happen. The oil leaked into the chamber. It's like you had filled it with too much oil.