Craftsman riding mower seat switch

KCKloos273

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. I've been researching an issue and that i haven't found a fix for yet. My Craftsman YZ model mower dies when I get off the seat. I know the seat switch is supposed to kill the engine if the blades are engaged, but this is happening when the blades are not engaged. It hasn't always been this way as I would get up with the mower running and blades disengaged pretty frequently to move things out of the way, warm the motor up, or whatever else.

So, I took that metal grounding plate out of the seat kill switch plug, as an attempt to bypass the kill switch thinking that could fix my problem.

Well, no difference. Motor still dies when I get off the seat, blades running or not.

Anyone encounter this issue before?

Bertrrr

Threads
All these switches go to their own relay and I think they may be in a Series circuit but not for certain , switch them around and see if the problem moves with the relay or goes away - I seem to recall my machine died when the seat switch activated also

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are 2 switches that allow you get off the mower and leave the engine running.
The seat switch and the parking brake switch.
We know the seat switch is working so that just leaves the parking brake switch.
This is obviously to prevent run away mowers , and yes it does happen , I get the resultant mess in the workshop .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well if you actually want real help then you would post the actual model numbers so we can look up the wiring schematics

KCKloos273

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe it is YZ4500 model number, about 10 years old.

I'll look into the parking break switch, but to be honest in the past I never had to set the brake before getting off the seat in order to keep the mower running. Doesn't mean it wasn't malfunctioning in the past though.