Craftsman riding mower loses power shuts off.

RanchLife

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, new to the forum. Browsed through here but did not find an answer to the problem I'm experiencing. First the mower I have and what I've done so far. It's a 2011 Craftsman rider, model # 917.288611, 54" cut, 26 HP kohler engine model # SV735. I bought it brand new, and through the years did some work on it. First I changed the solenoid, new battery, and plugs, also changed the ignition switch, and I converted the coil packs, this model had faults with the originals. This was done through out the years, just mowed last week and parked it.

Yesterday I go to start it and no power, the hour meter doesn't turn on? Try a couple more times, and it turns on, figure ok lets mow. She fires up, I notice the hour meter turn off, 3 seconds later the mower shuts off as well. So turn the key, and nothing, couple more times it gets power, hour meter is on. She fires up again, 3 seconds later, hour meter turns off, then the mower shuts off, loses power. Tried a different solenoid, different ignition switch, and does the same thing gets power, turns on and runs 3 seconds later, again hour meter turns off, then it cuts off as well. So seems like an electrically problem, it loses power even running? I'm thinking seat safety switch is going bad? Thinking I got off the seat?

Any help would appreciate it, need this lawn cut, and glad to be a part of the forum.

Marcel

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

First thoughts are bad battery,
bad connection
Bad fuse

If the 12V power supply is cut off the fuel solenoid shuts down & the mower stops.

RanchLife

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:

First thoughts are bad battery,
bad connection
Bad fuse

If the 12V power supply is cut off the fuel solenoid shuts down & the mower stops.

Thanks bertsmobile1, Battery is new 4 months old or so. All connections are checked and good, fuse is good. Just a bit weird, because the hour meter wont have power, then all of a sudden it will the mower starts, then 3-5 secs later the hour meter loses power mower shuts off. Just last week it ran fine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which should tell you either you have Gremlins stealing the power or bad joint, bad wire, bad ignition switch, bad battery that is making & breaking contact.
Get your wiring diagram and follow the money.
Somewhere between the battery & the hour meter you are loosing power.

What has absolutely nothing to do with your problem is the seat switch which does nothing else but ground out the magneto but as you have already made up your mind go ahead and rip it out like all the other idiots who are hell bent on ripping out the seat switch just because it is there and easy to get at,

Only 2 things can cause the engine to shut down
1) magneto earthing out
2) carby solenoid loosing power

The magneto powers the spark plug and the spark plug alone
Battery powers the solenoid and the hour meter

So where do you thing the problem is going to be.

First rule in any type of repair work.
NOTHING GETS RULED IN OR OUT UNTIL IT IS TESTED AND VERIFIED GOOD OR FAULTY>
And this applies regardless of weather it is new in the box or been on there for 100 years.

RanchLife

Forum Newbie
Threads
10-4 Will double check again. Battery it is not used a friends battery just now and same thing, will follow all wiring and connections again. Thanks again, will post if I find the cause.

RanchLife

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok tested all switches, connections, and battery. Started to check all wiring, fuse is good, but inside the wire loom, from the wire that goes to the fuse was a bad contact. Solution cut heat wrap, electric tape, and she fired right up. Bad news big storm started and can't mow!
Thanks for making me triple check bertsmobile1!