Export thread

Craftsman push mower suddenly will not start

B

bluegirl

Hi all,
Been using it all summer and even up to last week and now today I pulled the cord and the engine does nothing but sound like and 80 year old chain smoker. Any ideas where to start?

P

possum

Best place to start when looking for help is the year, model, engine etc. On the mower itself best to find evidence of spark, fuel, air, and compression.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Hi all,
sound like and 80 year old chain smoker

Now that is a new engine sound to me???:confused2:

B

bluegirl

Model 917.373680. Not sure of the year.

B

bluegirl

Oh and a B&S engine.

M

mechanic mark

Manual Craftsman Lawn mower 917373680 | SearsPartsDirect download manual at bottom left of screen, page 18 is troubleshooting chart. Adjust valves per specs. page 3 in manual.
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...=2&ie=UTF-8#q=How to adjust b&s engine valves

Post engine numbers: model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx.

B

bluegirl

Did some troubleshooting today. So far, new gas, new plug, clean air filter, control bar seems good, blades are mounted fine, oil a bit low but not bad-added some. So I am supposing that I am heading into valve adjustment. Anything else easier I haven't thought of? When I pull the cord there is no hint at all of actually starting. Thanks Mechanic Mark for the references so far. Will check the valves tomorrow hopefully.

B

bluegirl

Sorry, I have the wrong model #. The one I have is 944.363201 and the engine is a B&S 125K02 0253-E1 03061657

M

mechanic mark

Sorry, I have the wrong model #. The one I have is 944.363201 and the engine is a B&S 125K02 0253-E1 03061657

Parts for Brands Craftsman, GE, Kenmore, Whirlpool and more | SearsPartsDirect Enter correct model number for parts & manual.

Results your engine manual with valve specs. page 9.

Engine Won't Start | Mower & Small Engine Repair | Briggs & Stratton FAQ
Checking Spark Plugs | Engine & Mower Maintenance | Briggs & Stratton FAQ replace fuel filter part # page 9.https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=b&s part 298090s

B

bluegirl

Took the carb off and checked it out. Put it all back together and she fired right up. Air lock maybe? Weird.