Craftsman push mower engine identification

Martinmarty

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have inherited what has always been a reliable Craftsman push mower, but now it only wants to run for like 3 seconds and then it dies as if it is not getting fuel. If I pump the primer some more it will run a few more seconds, so it is like the only gas it's getting is when I pump the bulb and it's not sucking any more after that.

I checked the fuel line and gas tank and everything is clear and not leaking.

The primer bulb SEEMS to be OK upon visual inspection. I don't see any obvious cracks and no gas is dripping out but maybe there could be a pinhole that I am not seeing. Same with fuel line. No clean spots or cracks or drips.

I would like to order a new carb but I have not located the model of the engine. The tag on the mower body says the model of the mower 917.387350 and the top of the engine says 3.75 HP. This mower is probably 15 - 25 years old.

The carb says Tecumseh and there is a stamp (dots like Braille?) that I think says 5275A3R. When I look up replacement carbs there are a couple of different engine numbers where the carbs look like they would fit, but I thought if I could get an exact engine number I could be more sure.

New carbs on Amz are under $15 so I thought it is not even worth taking the old one apart looking for trouble but I would like to order the correct replacement.

Thank you.
-Marty

Attachments

• 20230519_155216 - Copy.jpg
    20230519_155216 - Copy.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 2

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Provided it still has the original engine then the engine is a Tecumseh.

143.033700 > LEV090-334010A
1684598200961.png
Also this the cross

Mfg. 5275 = 640339

Last edited:

Martinmarty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, original engine.

I did end up buying this carb and it fit and works fine. I had to give it a couple shots of starting fluid the first couple of tries but once it got the bowl full of gas it was all good.

Upon closer inspection I was wrong about my old carb - the primer bulb was deteriorating on top. That's why it wasn't leaking. At that point I already had the new carb, so moot.