Craftsman mower won't stop moving.

Septaric

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just installed a new drive belt on my Craftsman LT2000 (model: 247.288841) - not an easy job with the odd tensioner and variable speed pulley on this model. But, it's done and looks like everything is routed according to the diagram. However, this new belt is so thick and stiff, the tractor immediately starts moving forward when shifted into forward - no pedal push required. AND, there's no stopping it. The brakes aren't strong enough. I even cleaned and adjusted the brakes as tight as they can be and I still cannot stop. I even replaced the brake unit. The belt is a 954-0467A which is what it calls for. When I took off the old belt it seemed to me to be not as wide as the replacement. I figured it was just wear. The picture is in neutral with the engine off.

Attachments

• Mower belt.jpg
    Mower belt.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 4

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you measure the new belt against the old one before you installed it ?
Belts barely stretch , they wear thin as you have noticed .
With the clutch in the belt should be very loose , if not the belt is either wrong, routed wrong or the spring is in the wrong position which is really easy to do .
Variable drive belts should also be replaced as a set .

Septaric

Forum Newbie
Threads
I may have a spring out of place. I'll check tomorrow after I get home from work. Honestly I didn't check the new belt with the old belt very good. I held them up side by side and said "eh close enough". I changed all the belts on this thing at the same time. Not a fun job and I'm a diesel mechanic. LOL

Septaric

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep, I had a spring in the wrong place.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for fessing up.
Glad it was a simple as that
Mental note to yourself
When you start to do any job you have not done before or do very infrequently take photos before you start , while you are pulling bits off and when you have finished .
Probably a 1/4 of the posts here are "where does this it go " because they ripped into it and did not take photos before they started to pull bits off .

Septaric

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for fessing up.
Glad it was a simple as that
Mental note to yourself
When you start to do any job you have not done before or do very infrequently take photos before you start , while you are pulling bits off and when you have finished .
Probably a 1/4 of the posts here are "where does this it go " because they ripped into it and did not take photos before they started to pull bits off .
That's very true. I'm a Diesel mechanic and I always do that, but in this case the original spring broke off and fell in the yard. So I never got to see it's position.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A strong pencil light works wonders for finding the anchor point wear marks .
If the spring has cut a grove in the frame I usually weld a washer over the hole & build up the hole as once the first spring goes, replacements only seem to last a season or two.