Craftsman mower wont start

CR17

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi, i have a craftsman lawn mower model 917.275754 with a briggs 18.5 horse that cranks but wont start it has fresh gas and oil,new plug and fuel filter.I have removed the gas tank and carb and cleaned both, it has fire and compression,i checked the fuel sylenoid and it appears to work fine but i removed the fuel sylenoid and replaced it with a bolt and it started and ran fine for about 200 feet and quit, so would this be as simple as a rebuild kit for the carb or does the fuel syleniod play a bigger role in the operation of the carb than just safety?

twinfords

Threads
sounds like your fuel soleniod is bad and with out it it flooded.

CR17

Forum Newbie
Threads
The fuel sylinoid operates like normal out of the carb could just the weight of the fuel keep it from operating correctly?

jc56

Threads
Hey Cr17...have you tried running it without the gas cap????Maybe the vent in cap is plugged.jc

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Agree with twin fords bad solenoid. It must be installed as it also controls the metering of the fuel. Install it, as you turn the key you should hear it click. No click probably bad, BUT try this first. Try turning the key again and see if you can feel it moving. Third test before you replace. Remove the solenoid take a battery charger and connect the positive lead to the wire and touch the negative to the case. If it is working you will see the shutoff pin move. No movement replace.