Craftsman LT4000 wont start

rett98

Threads
Further update....after extensive inspection the mower mechanic says that the engine has significant damage caused by some internal parts breaking and damaging the cylinder (plus other parts). He suggested that it was not worth repairing as it would be less expensive to get a new mower......bummer eh?.

I've looked on-line for a new/used engine but they seem to be around $1000+ so in his defense I'd rather fork out the extra money to buy a new mower....

Oh well I have had my 10 years worth of use out of it so in the scheme of things it has been money well spent. Luckily I do not have to cut the grass at the moment due to the weather.

Any suggestions as to what mower i should look at??? Don't want to spend more than $2000....(I have a flat 1 - 1.5 acre lot with plenty of trees) (Takes me about 45 mins to cut the grass)

Terry

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Strange the Briggs 33S877-0019-G1 which replaces the 331877-2371-G1 only lists for $631.

rett98

Threads
Hopefully final update.....my mower guy has re-evaluated his assessment of the damage and says he can actually fix it. It appears that the only broken bit was the cam gear. He said he has to replace a push rod that was bent and a new compression part (no sure of technical correct terms).

With all this being said he confirmed that he would charge $350 for the fix.......much better than a new engine cost....He is waiting on parts and should have the mower back to me by Thurs/Fri.....