Craftsman LT3000 (model 917276813)

MCMDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got an electrical issue. I can jump start it easily, but the battery isn't getting charged as the mower runs. If I charge the battery, it retains a charge. The last time I used it, it started without help, but an hour later when I stopped to fill the gas tank, it was dead and needed to be jumped. I don't know if I have a loose electrical cable somewhere, a short, or if the generator / alternator is faulty. I have been unable to locate the name, part number or location of the generator / alternator in a diagram, but I think I know the device on my tractor, just need confirmation. Are my symptoms familiar to anyone? Any suggestions for isolating the issue?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Charging system parts are part of the engine. Post the engine numbers and we’ll find you a service procedure to test the charging system.

MCMDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. It's a Briggs and Stratton 31p977 I've found the replacement alternator but not the voltage regulator yet, nor even it's part number. I'm hoping that will solve my problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Owners manual indicates you got a 31P977-0635-E1. Please verify type number as the ipl of the one listed indicates only a dual circuit alternator; therefore no voltage regulator. You need a tri-circuit or larger stator to have a voltage regulator.

MCMDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you.

31p977 0635 e1 0604 21ze

I was beginning to doubt this motor has a voltage regulator. So, does that likely point to the alternator?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check out the section on governors in this manual. You should be able to identify whi charging system by the wires you have.

MCMDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, but if there's anything that's useful to my situation, I wouldn't know how to begin to find it. I'm not good at riddles. There are literally 101 pages in that pdf.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Try this alternator ID chart. Should be a lot easier. Take a look at the dual circuit wiring and yes can have a regulator but that is not usually worth the extra expense for a couple amps more current.

Brigg Alternator ID Chart