Craftsman LT2000 Engine Spinning, Not Starting

Ericbss7

Threads
Craftsman LT2000 (2009 I believe) Briggs and Stratton 19.5 hp

I was driving along mowing, and all of a sudden whenever I would idle (blades not engaged, parking brake on), the engine would rev really high, unusually high. Whenever I would begin moving and engage the blades the engine would idle normally. Then, in the middle of mowing, the entire tractor just shut off. I tried to restart it, and the engine just spins. This is just another issue in my saga that has included having the carb cleaned, adjusting the valves, replacing the battery (my fault on that one, left the key in the On position), fuel filter...

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check spark plug for replacement & check spark plug boot connection.

You understand that when mowing throttle should be in full wide open position. Post your tractor model number from under seat as well as engine numbers: model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx & code number. Four things are needed for engine to run, air, compression, fuel & spark. How did you adjust valves & what did you set intake & exhaust at?

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check spark plug for replacement & check spark plug boot connection.

You understand that when mowing throttle should be in full wide open position. Post your tractor model number from under seat as well as engine numbers: model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx & code number. Four things are needed for engine to run, air, compression, fuel & spark. How did you adjust valves & what did you set intake & exhaust at?

If you plan on repairing it yourself stop and think what mechanic mack is telling you. You need compression, fuel, spark and timing and it will run. I have been doing this work for years and its never let me down yet.

Ericbss7

Threads
If you plan on repairing it yourself stop and think what mechanic mack is telling you. You need compression, fuel, spark and timing and it will run. I have been doing this work for years and its never let me down yet.

Somehow missed the second part of mechanic mark asking me to post my model info, my mistake.

Info is: Craftsman LT2000 247.28902 with Briggs and Stratton 31P677

Valves were adjusted using a feeler gauge on the compression stroke. Intake was set at .004, exhaust at .005.

Threads
Check the flywheel key. If it has shared & the flywheel has moved, it will cause problems. I have seen the key bend & not share.

Ericbss7

Threads
Check the flywheel key. If it has shared & the flywheel has moved, it will cause problems. I have seen the key bend & not share.

Ok sure. Any info on how to look at this? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but not an expert. Thanks for any help.