Craftsman Lt1000 model 917.272673 won't start

Jim8208

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs and Stratton...17.5HP.. Model: 31C707..Type: 0230E2..Code: 040617ZD

Hello, This is my first post and I'm sure glad I found this forum. Hopefully I can get a little help. I was mowing along and all of a sudden the mower started bogging down and died. It wouldn't restart, first thing I thought was it got hot and shut down. It seems to be getting gas and spark. I read that the valves get out of adjustment so I checked those and sure enough they were loose. I adjusted them to .004 and tried starting it. It started up for about 10 seconds then shut down again. The next time I tried starting it would just spin real fast and not fire at all. I went back in and was going to check the valves again. When I turn the motor with my hands the rocker arms don't move at all. Is it possible one of the valves is bent? I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to mowers and almost everything I learn I get from the internet so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Let me repeat a post from another thread that might just get you the help you need. Please follow it.

Since this is a help forum, it is only fair that the people trying to answer questions have some information to work with, so they can give an accurate answer. This helps them if they need to research parts or service information on your engine or equipment. In the first part of your post please include your engine numbers from the ID tag or stamping and the equipment type and model numbers that are on it. Failure to do this may result in you not receiving any accurate help with your problem.

Many of the tech's that hang out here work in or have there own shops and the first thing they do when they make up a work order on a unit is include the engine and equipment numbers on the work order. Since this technical forum is offered free to the public, it's the least we can ask you to do, so please help all of us out. *So please post the numbers in the new topic you start to ask your question. It should be the first thing you write before beginning your question. :D

Need engine numbers!

Jim8208

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, will do and thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I didn't see your engine numbers at to top of your original post. It is possible that you do have a bent valve, but the rocker arms should still move. I would go back and do a little more home work. Take lugs the plug, remove the valve cover, and check to see if the rocker arms move. They should be loose. Then while turning the engine over by hand, feel both push rods to see if they move. You should be able to feel movement. If the rocker arms move and they are loose, and the push rods move, I would reset the valve clearance. First the valve clearance should be .005 for both valves. Make sure that you set them when the piston is just past TDC on the compression stroke. After you set them, turn the engine by hand through at least 10 revolutions and watch to see if the continue to operate as they should. By doing this you are also making sure that the valve train seats itself properly. Recheck the clearance again and if it has changed start over. Repost back what you find.

Jim8208

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know why the rocker arms aren't moving when I turn the engine with my hands. I've tried starting the motor with the valve cover off and the rocker arms don't move. I haven't been able to find anything other than the valves are possibly stuck open. Do you have any idea what to check next?
Thanks for your time, it's much appreciated.

Jim

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check what I posted about the push rods?

Jim8208

Forum Newbie
Threads
The push rods will move. I read somewhere to put a screwdriver in the sparkplug hole and feel for the piston to reach TDC, does that sound right?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, bring the piston up to TDC on the compression stroke and then about ten degrees more. This is the point where you sent the valve clearance.

Jim8208

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll give that a try and see if I can get this thing running. I'll let you know how it goes....Thanks

Jim8208

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rotated piston to TDC, adjusted rocker arms to .005. Rocker arms don't move at all when I turn the motor. Any ideas of what else could be the problem?