Craftsman LT1000 Mod 917.272084 needs transmission adjusment

wpetersen7

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman LT1000 Mod 917.272084 needs transmission adjusment
I bought this from a friend who had put a used hydrostatic transmission in it. The mower did not run when i got it, but i put in a new starter, spark plug and cleaned the carb and it fires right up. the shifter would barely move forward, but would esily move into reverse. I had "purged" the transmission best i could following the manual's instructions. The shifter still only moves about the same, but the mover will only move forward when the shifter is an any position; reverse, neutral, or forward, it doesn't matter.

I dont' know how to adjust the transmission so my shifter is moves to the correct positions and the mower goes where i want it to go. It seems like it is in "high gear" so to speak as soon as take my foot off the clutch. Same speed regardless of shifter position

How do i adjust the transmission to a) find neutral and b) make sure it goes where and when it is supposed to; in such a manner that the shift lever will control speed, slow forward vs fast forward, and reverse is reverse and neutral is neutral?

thanks everyone for help on this... I am kind of stuck.

Col F

Threads
Have you determined if the speed control lever (on the fender) is actually connected to the Control Arm on the transaxle, and if it is, is the Control Arm moving properly through its range?

wpetersen7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you determined if the speed control lever (on the fender) is actually connected to the Control Arm on the transaxle, and if it is, is the Control Arm moving properly through its range?

Yes, the speed control lever is connected to the control arm. As far as moving the speed control lever forward, it only moves into the forward position only a couple of inches at most. That is all. No problem shifting it into reverse though. The control arm does move (rotates either forward or backward, depending on movement of the speed shift lever), but currently has no effect on the the speed or direction (forward or reverse).

It almost seems that the speed control lever is set too far forward on the control arm, so when the speed control lever is in "neutral" the transmission is actually in it's most speed forward position.

thanks,
Bill

Col F

Threads
There is a bolt on the exposed side of the control arm, which is used for properly orienting the lever for the neutral position. Small adjustments of the lever to control arm connection result in significant effect on the speed control function.

You might want to attempt to ensure that the alignment of lever to control plate is correct.

Since you are in "forward" at the "neutral" mark, and since moving the lever back does in fact enter "reverse" motion, that implies that when moving the lever rearward you do reach a "neutral" transmission position (on level surface).. Place the lever in that "neutral" speed position, shut off the engine, loosen the bolt on the control plate and rotate it forward to the midpoint position of the "adjustment slot" on the plate, and retighten. You may have to readjust in small increments by trial and error to actually "calibrate" the lever at "neutral" to the transmission in neutral (I did)...

It is usually helpful to lower the deck to the lowest position to provide access clearance to the bolt on the control plate... remember to pull the deck back up prior to checking motion to avoid wrecking your deck...

wpetersen7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry if i confused with my used of incorrect terms. I am aware of the neutral adjustment on the outside of the control arm. In my previous thread i mentioned it would shift into reverse. not true. The speed control lever will move into reverse, the transmission, however, is still in forward gear. I cannot move the speed control lever forward out of neutral except for a couple of inches. The lawn mower is always in forward gear, regardless of the speed control lever position.
The mower will not go into neutral or reverse gears.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help

Col F

Threads
If the control plate moves through its complete range of travel, yet the tractor is stuck in forward only, I would presume that the problem is internal and will require a full tear-down to repair.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have someone move the speed lever. And look at Where the linkage hooks to the rearend and see if the shaft that the linkage hooks to moves

(( cowboy up and get over it ))