Craftsman - Kohler Mo# 917.271030. wires and connector connected to the voltage regulator burnt

biplob827

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman - Kohler Mo# 917.271030. wires and connector connected to the voltage regulator burnt
Please help!
I have an old riding mower (bought used recently). While mowing, the engine turned off and it wouldn't click or crank when I turned the key. I noticed the carburetor was leaking gas and the 30 Amp fuse was blown, so I replaced them both. I was able to start the mower, but right away I smelled something burning and I noticed the 2 yellow wire connected to the voltage regulator was really hot and melted! Please help me with some suggestions on how I can resolve this. I can't even find the wiring and connectors parts number on the manual that I found online! Please help! Thank you.

Please click on the link for pictures of the problem:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Craftsman - Kohler Mo# 917.271030. wires and connector connected to the voltage regulator burnt
The only thing that I can figure that those two wires off of the regulator with the special connector with the burnt end would feed the headlights. Nothing else in the system would even be remotely AC powered. I would be checking to make sure the headlight wires didn't get close to the muffler, melt and then short out.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The only thing that I can figure that those two wires off of the regulator with the special connector with the burnt end would feed the headlights. Nothing else in the system would even be remotely AC powered. I would be checking to make sure the headlight wires didn't get close to the muffler, melt and then short out.
I've seen it a time or two.

biplob827

Forum Newbie
Threads

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have seen this a few times. The problem is the terminals get loose and create a high resistance connection and then gets hot and melts the connector. I fix them by getting new crimp faston connectors that fit the lugs on the voltage regulator. Cut off the old connector and crimp on new terminals.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
The damaged connector may have been a problem waiting to happen, but another problem may be present too. If I had to guess, the connector was corroded and as stated that caused resistance and heat. The fuse blowing might say something else went on too, so I would still look to make sure nothing has chaffed against the frame or muffler. If one looks at that wire, one side of it is not overheated but the other connection side is. That points to a bad connection on that one side of the wire. However that may have been the weakest point so when the system overloaded and popped the fuse, that connector sort of acted as a fuse too and melted. Basically a fuse is a conductor that has a bit of resistance in it, so if too much power passes thru it, it heats up and melts before the wires do. But a dirty connection can also act as a fuse and burn up. So, effectively whatever caused the overload may have damaged both the fuse and connector.

biplob827

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kindly advise if I should replace regulator, wiring and connectors? If so, what would be the parts number? I can't find it in the manual!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am not sure you will find a kohler part number for the white Molex connector and the pins plus you need a special crimp tool for the pins. Star tech the forum parts magician may have them. I would delete the connectors and just use faston terminals to the voltage regulator. You may have a other problem with excessive current draw from the looks of the relay. May want to see what it is controlling and see what is causing the excessi e current draw.fn02800-01-thumbnail-1080x1080-70.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First the wiring doesn't the model number given and I see no reason for 40+vac for headlamps. Something definitely not right.

Voltage Regulator 25 403 37-S

Amp Mate n Lok Plug 350779-1
Amp Mate n Lok Connector Housing 926682-1

20-14 ga Terminals
Amp Mate n Lok Pin 926883-1-CT (cut strip of 100)
Amp Mate n Lok Socket 350536-7 (cut strip of 100)

Voltage Terminal Housing Aptiv 02977646
Relay Terminal Housing Aptiv 12010832
Terminals used Aptiv 2935867 (16-14 ga)

Note above terminals will need an open barrel crimper to crimp them so these will fit into the plugs and housings.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First the wiring doesn't the model number given and I see no reason for 40+vac for headlamps. Something definitely not right.

Voltage Regulator 25 403 37-S

Amp Mate n Lok Plug 350779-1
Amp Mate n Lok Connector Housing 926682-1

20-14 ga Terminals
Amp Mate n Lok Pin 926883-1-CT (cut strip of 100)
Amp Mate n Lok Socket 350536-7 (cut strip of 100)

Voltage Terminal Housing Aptiv 02977646
Relay Terminal Housing Aptiv 12010832
Terminals used Aptiv 2935867 (16-14 ga)

Note above terminals will need an open barrel crimper to crimp them so these will fit into the plugs and housings.

the whole thing is strange. And I can't think of anything other than headlights that would work with AC And like you I can't see the 40+ for headlights unless they are running them parallel and not in series so half wave AC to each headlight.