Craftsman HP

jpc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone
I have a Craftsman LT1000 riding lawn (model #917.272066) and I was wondering if any of you know how to increase the horsepower or give it a bit more power. I am not racing it or anything,it just boggs down a bit in the tall thick grass. I was also wondering about a hyd. pump kit as well.
Thank you
JPC

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello everyone
I have a Craftsman LT1000 riding lawn (model #917.272066) and I was wondering if any of you know how to increase the horsepower or give it a bit more power. I am not racing it or anything,it just boggs down a bit in the tall thick grass. I was also wondering about a hyd. pump kit as well.
Thank you
JPC

I am not aware of any method to increase hp in lawn mower engines, if it is in good tune and has good compression that is all the hp you can reasonably expect from it. However, if you feel it should be developing more power, the carb linkage or that of the governor may be out of adjustment. I had a new Yard Pro mower that seemed to be very slow (self propelled) and by bending the tab for the spring that controlled the governor settings, I was able to get the engine to run faster, it cut better as well as gaining about 1/2 mph in speed. However, I cannot explain how you can check that on your machine. Are the blades sharp? Dull blades take extra power to cut. Are you cutting a full width of the deck? Try cutting a half width and it will do better, although it will double the time required.

jpc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply.
Now that its raining again here in california I brought the mower in for repair and some custom stuff. I am going to go thru the whole mower from the deck up. Is there a place you all know of that sells repair parts for this mower and kholer engines? I can find them all day long just looking for a place with good customer service and decent pricing.
I am also building a cab for my mower, I have the 3/4" steel frame almost there and looking to start breaking sheet metal. I would like to add a fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge before skinning it, Do you guys know of a place to purchase them? I dont have to have them it would just make it look better until I switch the drive train out and go diesel next year.
Thank you
Jason

jet62095

Threads
Thank you for the reply.
Now that its raining again here in california I brought the mower in for repair and some custom stuff. I am going to go thru the whole mower from the deck up. Is there a place you all know of that sells repair parts for this mower and kholer engines? I can find them all day long just looking for a place with good customer service and decent pricing.
I am also building a cab for my mower, I have the 3/4" steel frame almost there and looking to start breaking sheet metal. I would like to add a fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge before skinning it, Do you guys know of a place to purchase them? I dont have to have them it would just make it look better until I switch the drive train out and go diesel next year.
Thank you
Jason

Glad to see someone going diesel! I'd go that way if I had the money.
I'd go to Jack's Small Engine, they have pretty good prices on parts.