Walk behind Craftsman Handle Replacement Incorrect

flemtone

Forum Newbie
Threads
...as the grass grows higher...

I have a Craftsman 917.376742 self-propelled walk-behind mower, about 6-7 years old. The push-handle has two sections, upper (hand) & lower (mower attach). The lower handle broke and I ordered a replacement from Sears. Of course, it's different from the original, and completely unusable on this mower. Called Sears, told them they must have sent the upper handle instead of the lower (no markings or part #) and they sent out a new one. Exactly the same as the first, unusable. The shape isn't the same. The original handle tapers near the bottom and squeezes in appx. 6 inches to attach to the mower body - the replacements don't taper at all, so they're both about 6" too wide to fit the mower body.

I've looked all over the Sears parts site, thru as many manuals as I can bring myself to try and I can't find the correct part. Even the diagram picture of the handle doesn't taper, but mine does. I'm just about ready to put the damn thing on Craigslist, but it cost a bundle and all it needs is the correct handle, about $18.

The part they sent (supposedly) is 433842X479 (substitution for 400512X479). Anyone had the same problem with incorrect parts from Sears? How did you resolve it?

Maybe I should buy some sheep...

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The part number is what you say...400512X479

Attachments

• Screenshot_7.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 8

flemtone

Forum Newbie
Threads
The part number is what you say...400512X479

Yep, that's the correct one. Now if I can only get Sears to find it! Thanks so much. I'll let the forum know what I find out from Sears.