Craftsman Gt5000 clicks but won't turn over i can jump the starter with a screwdriver it starts and runs

racersteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman Gt5000 clicks but won't turn over i can jump the starter with a screwdriver it starts and runs
Craftsman Gt 5000clicks but won't turn over i can jump the starter with a screwdriver it starts and runs fine the wire going to the starter selonoid doesn't get power when i turn the key

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Craftsman Gt5000 clicks but won't turn over i can jump the starter with a screwdriver it starts and runs
First things first, remove battery & take it to auto parts store to be load tested, no cost to you. If battery is good use multi meter to troubleshoot, Rivets has a chart you can follow. Post your 917 Model Number from under your seat.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF the trigger wire does not go to battery voltage when the key is in the Start position you have an electrical fault.
Double check by running a wire from the battery + cable on the solenoid to the trigger wire terminal
If the solenoid works & the engine cranks then you have identified the problem correctly.
Basic wiring is power from the fuse goes to the B terminal on the key switch then to the S terminal then to the PTO switch then the parking brake then to the solenoid.
Usually I pull the plugs & bypass the switch with a short wire with a male blade on each end
Start with the B & S terminals on the key switch so when the fault is bypassed the engine will suddenly crank.
Just remember that the safety switches connect flat to flat , not diagonally or edge to edge

enigma-2

Threads
Sounds like you need a new ignition switch.