Export thread

Craftsman Gt5000 clicks but won't turn over i can jump the starter with a screwdriver it starts and runs

R

racersteve

Craftsman Gt 5000clicks but won't turn over i can jump the starter with a screwdriver it starts and runs fine the wire going to the starter selonoid doesn't get power when i turn the key

M

mechanic mark

First things first, remove battery & take it to auto parts store to be load tested, no cost to you. If battery is good use multi meter to troubleshoot, Rivets has a chart you can follow. Post your 917 Model Number from under your seat.

B

bertsmobile1

IF the trigger wire does not go to battery voltage when the key is in the Start position you have an electrical fault.
Double check by running a wire from the battery + cable on the solenoid to the trigger wire terminal
If the solenoid works & the engine cranks then you have identified the problem correctly.
Basic wiring is power from the fuse goes to the B terminal on the key switch then to the S terminal then to the PTO switch then the parking brake then to the solenoid.
Usually I pull the plugs & bypass the switch with a short wire with a male blade on each end
Start with the B & S terminals on the key switch so when the fault is bypassed the engine will suddenly crank.
Just remember that the safety switches connect flat to flat , not diagonally or edge to edge

E

enigma-2

Sounds like you need a new ignition switch.