Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks.

I have a;
2002 GT3000
23.0 HP, 48" Mower
Electric Start
6 Speed

My 48" mower deck has served me well. However, the underneath is showing it's wear from moisture and is getting thin in areas. Time to replace the deck shell at a minimum.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a new OEM (direct/no fuss) bolt-in unit in 48" for a reasonable price.
Checking through Sears Parts Direct, a shell is available. However.

I have found a Craftsman 46" complete deck with very little use (no rust) that looks almost identical to my 48" that might possibly work.
Pictures comparing the two decks show that mount points are the same in front of the deck, and the rear mounts look VERY similar.

I was wondering if someone can confirm if the 46" deck will in fact work for my need?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

OleBoy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Luck be with me. I found an identical 48" complete deck locally, that was brand new (2 months old) for $300.00.
I pulled my old deck off to strip it and send it off to be bead blasted and painted.

redmed

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this is after the fact, two years after, but FYI. I bought a 2001 GT3000 with hydro trans with the 48" deck and the deck would keep clogging on me. I mow about three acres and would have to unclog the deck 2-4 times a mowing. A few months later while looking at shovels I overheard a salesman tell a couple to get the GT3000 with the manual transmission and the 50" deck, because the 48" deck would clog and the manual trans was more dependable and easier to use. I agreed with what he said about clogging and wished I had talked to him when I bought my GT3000. About a month after that a deck spindle froze on me and I loaded the GT3000 on my pickup and took it back to Sears. I was able to talk the manager into returning my money and was walking back through the store intending to by a Club Cadet, but saw a GT3000 with the manual transmission and the 50" deck on sale. With the words of that salesman ringing in my ears I bought that GT3000 with the manual transmission and the 50" deck. Now 15 years later I have not regretted that decision. The 50" deck has never clogged on me and the manual transmission is easier to use than the hydro. I can push on the clutch to slow the tractor around tight turns where with the hydro I would have to reach for the handle to slow down. The hydro is better at going into reverse though. Last year I was able to get another GT3000 as a spare. The spare GT3000 is like my first, a hydro with a 48" deck. The first thing I did was replace the 48" deck with a spare 50" deck and have been using it this year. So if you have a 48" mulching deck and can find a 50" non-mulching deck grab it and it will bolt right on and give a much better cut.