Craftsman garden tractor with hydro transmission no forward or reverse.

ragsplace

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman garden tractor with hydro transmission no forward or reverse.
I have a 20 year old Craftsman garden tractor that has been a great machine. Today while mowing, the tractor stopped moving. No forward or reverse. I checked the belt, brake,axle keys...all appear to be fine....when I have the rear of the tractor lifted off the ground the wheels barely turn in forward or reverse and I can stop them by just touching either tire. I hear what I believe is a noise coming from inside the transmission when I rotate the right side rear wheel with the engine off. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The tractor owes me nothing but still runs great. Thank you

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
20 years ago that mower could have been made by Murray , Noma . Garden Way ( Bolens ) , AYP ( husqvarna ) or MTD if not more so we will need a little more information as it could be a full gear transmission, a hydro with single speed transmission , a full hydro .
The numbers off the ID would help greatly
If not readable then the engine make model & serial number can be used some times to identify the mower assuming it is the original one still there .

ragsplace

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has a Hydro Gear 222-3310L transmission. The tractor model number is 917.273062. The tractor can be pushed without putting the tractor in the free wheel position. I'm thinking it is the brake shaft assembly or something else internal.

Lemonlimehomer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I came across this question hoping to see a answer. I'm guessing you didn't get one. I believe that I am also having the same issue. Except that the reverse is fine. Forward is the issue. Here's my e male if could reply, thanks. Lemonlimehomer70@hotmail.com

Lemonlimehomer

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has a Hydro Gear 222-3310L transmission. The tractor model number is 917.273062. The tractor can be pushed without putting the tractor in the free wheel position. I'm thinking it is the brake shaft assembly or something else internal.
I posted a post to your post.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you can push a hydro drive mower without the drive in the bypass position then the hydro is worn out .
That is how you test them
Having said that it is worthwhile to double check that something is not jambed in the bypass pin/ arm holding the valve open

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello. I came across this question hoping to see a answer. I'm guessing you didn't get one. I believe that I am also having the same issue. Except that the reverse is fine. Forward is the issue. Here's my e male if could reply, thanks. Lemonlimehomer70@hotmail.com
And a fuller answer to your question.
I have a tilt trailer that I use to collect customers mowers
The hydros are tested when I load & unload the mower.
When loading the bypass is activated so I can see if the brake is dragging .
When unloading the bypass is turned off & I give the mower a push
If it is hard to push with the brake off and stops when I let go then the hydros are in perfect working order.
If it races away the instant I remove the brake the hydros are deceased
Some where in the middle I can make an assesment of the life remaining .
Once they keep going when given an initial push they are on their way out .
Hydros have a finite life and the thing that kills them really fast is driving with the engine running slow.
My older customers tend to do this in the belief that if they run the engine slow it will last longer

Lemonlimehomer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Will look into both suggestions.