Walk behind Craftsman EZ3 Gear Case Removal Question

rcatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Old Craftsman EZ3 22" 6.5HP Eager-1 Model Number 917.376301

It is a self propelled model and I always just push it. I decided to remove as much of the self propelled parts as I can. I don't really understand exactly how the geared front wheels work. If I remove the Gear case and drive shaft will the front wheels still turn freely when I push it? I can see that the drive shaft does spin as I rotate the wheels.

Any info on this would be much appreciated. I'm obviously not much of mechanic so please give it to me a simply as possible :)

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you want to just make it a push mower this is what I would do. Remove both wheels and then remove the drive gear from the drive shaft. Let the shaft remain with no gear. Install the wheels. Then cut the drive belt and remove it. It should now push easily and you won't have to worry about the gear case. Just let it alone.

rcatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply.

I had already cut the belt and removed fly wheel. I did not realize the plastic hub caps pop off. Once I did that I could see the gear in the wheel and removed it. I then seen the wheel should spin fine with out the drive shaft. I was able to pull it out with the gear case. Should roll better than ever, and less stuff under the deck for grass to get stuck in :)

If you want to just make it a push mower this is what I would do. Remove both wheels and then remove the drive gear from the drive shaft. Let the shaft remain with no gear. Install the wheels. Then cut the drive belt and remove it. It should now push easily and you won't have to worry about the gear case. Just let it alone.