Craftsman edger with Briggs and Strstton 550 series won't stay running?

bradyhower

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman edger with Briggs and Strstton 550 series won't stay running?
Hello. My edger, won't start. The edger is a Craftsman 247.772460. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 550 series, serial number 11 0204 54 57251. It will start when you prime it but will not stay running. Spark plug was replaced. I took the carburetor off and cleaned it and that did not help so I bought a new carburetor and put it on but it still does not help. It'll start but won't run. Any help would be much appreciated.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Will it stay runningif you feed it starting fluid through the intake?

bradyhower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will it stay runningif you feed it starting fluid through the intake?
Yes. It'll start when you prime it but won't stay running. It'll start and run if you continuously spray starting fluid.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes. It'll start when you prime it but won't stay running. It'll start and run if you continuously spray starting fluid.
So what do you think the engine is lacking? She is thirsty.

I would flush/wash/clean/shake the gas tank out. Blow out both ways with compressed air. Tank should be like a new one. As Bert said, there is clean and there is CLEAN.

Install new fuel line from tank to carb. Filter and shut off valve would be good if you can fit them in.

Verify you have a solid flow of gas AT the carb inlet.

Next is clean the carb again or get a new one. Holler if you still have issues.

bradyhower

Forum Newbie
Threads
So what do you think the engine is lacking? She is thirsty.
Yes I know that. But why isn't the gas making it to the engine? It's new gas, new carb, new gaskets and diaphragm.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Yes I know that. But why isn't the gas making it to the engine? It's new gas, new carb, new gaskets and diaphragm.
Have you checked gas flow out of fuel line going directly into carburetor? Set up a separate nurse fuel tank if necessary to see if engine will run on it.

bradyhower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked gas flow out of fuel line going directly into carburetor? Set up a separate nurse fuel tank if necessary to see if engine will run on it.
There is no gas line. It pulls directly from the gas tank.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
There is no gas line. It pulls directly from the gas tank.
So you have a pulsa jet older carburetor and these can be a pain to get going. I would recommend keeping the OEM carburetor , cleaning thoroughly, and replacing needed diaphragm, etc. If there is rust and debris in tank, it will clog up the fuel pick up tube that has a screen on it on the bottom. These are time consuming to remove and replace and hook up linkage correctly.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
New doesn't mean new these days. Throwing money at it can be futile as you are seeing. All these parts will need tested.

Is the new carb OEM Briggs or was this some Scamazon purchase? Was the wrong part ordered by accident?

Oh okay, pulsa jet. Tiger Small Engine nailed it. Tank must be spotless. BRIGGS diaphragm and other related rebuild parts recommended. Is the fuel pickup tube cracked? Screen at the bottom of the fuel tube spotless as Tiger SE said? Does the fuel pump work? Is the small holding cell inside the tank where the gas is drawn up into the carb clean as well? Is the carb mounting surface FLAT on the tank? Most people over torque those tiny screws and warp the tank top. That can warp the carb body if Kong installed it last.

No engine number was provided to look up your specific carb.