Craftsman Eager-1 4hp leaking gas

mmanter

Threads
Ok, now a different problem

The mower is no longer idling funny after the carb repairs but instead when I started the engine it was going fine but when I shut it off to empty the grass catcher it would not re-fire. After trying a few times I figure I flooded it so I shut it off to clear out. I recalled I had another spark plug that was good so I installed it but noticed that the carb is leaking gas out the air cleaner. The paper element is soaked with gas & gas is dripping on the deck of the mower. so it's clearly flooding. I replaced the old needle & seat, float was good, new gaskets all around & no blockages in the bolt that holds the bowl on. Fresh gas that just came from the same gas station all my other lawn mowers run on.

This thing is an old mower I just bought used & I just need to last the season but I have yet to be able get through one time cutting the front & back yard without problems. Any ideas?

Nummy

Threads
Your floats either have hole and is filled with gas and can't close or your needle is worn out or dirt in there not letting it seat properly or you have the o-ring your needle sits into is to far up and can't seal if you don't wanna fool with taking carb apart get an in line fuel shut off valve and just use that to shut off the engine

mmanter

Threads
Your floats either have hole and is filled with gas and can't close or your needle is worn out or dirt in there not letting it seat properly or you have the o-ring your needle sits into is to far up and can't seal if you don't wanna fool with taking carb apart get an in line fuel shut off valve and just use that to shut off the engine

Thanks for the tip. Gonna pick up a shut off valve when I get off work. It's a beater mower in pretty nasty shape & I'd rather just keep the engine & junk the deck since it has rust & at least one hole but at least it'll get me through the rest of the year before being sent to lawn mower heaven. The carb was doing the same exact thing before so I'm thinking it's just junk. Don't really wanna invest much in to this thing so the shut off valve is a good tip. :thumbsup:

mmanter

Threads
Got the shut off valve installed & put in the spark plug from one of my parts mowers. Engine fired right up & died after I cut a couple rows. Had the shut off valve turned in the off position. Opened it up & no other issues. No flooding or anything. It seems to idle rather high & pops a bit but fires right up every time & cuts like a champ. Sure does seem like a good engine. Be worth putting it on a deck that isn't rusted out so I'm gonna do that & keep that mower as a spare once I buy a new one.

Thanks! :thumbsup: