Export thread

Craftsman DGS 6500 (26 horse) Manual transmission-hard to shift

G

GPB

I have a had this tractor for a couple years (second owner, ~200 hours on it) and recently this summer the shifting has occasionally been hard to move between gears (usually from fwd gears to N or R) but now is very hard to move between any gears. I had to replace brake pucks recently so had the wheel off, and could inspect parts closer. Everything looked to be in working order with the shifter/linkage and when the clutch was depressed the drive belt did not appear to be applying any pressure to the drive pulley. I removed the shift lever assembly from the shaft that enters the transmission case (shifter moved with no issue, so all linkage between is good/mobile) and it was similarly difficult to work the gears by working the bracket attached to the shaft. It seems like it is an issue inside of the case. I applied some WD40 to the shaft and it did seem to loosen up a bit, but still difficult to move through the gear sequence. Is it time to split the case and inspect closer or does anyone have other recommendations to try?

G

GPB

Mower Model 917.287451

B

bertsmobile1

Sounds like it.
Not at all difficult to work on.
Box is held in by 6 bolts.
Try to get the make & model number off the tag on the box then give it a really good scrub.
The usual suspect is the shift keys they take a pounding.
Make sure you list the make & model number of the box if you come back for help as usually there will be more than one box used in any production year.

G

GPB

Transaxle is peerless model H820-040

Found a pdf of the technicians handbook:

http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/Te...m_-_Transmissions_&_Differentials(691218).pdf

I am hoping to make it through fall cleanup and make this a winter project.

B

bertsmobile1

Transaxle is peerless model H820-040

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/
Scroll down to the Peerless- tecumseh section click on it then find your manual