Craftsman Belt problems

Threads
Goodday to all. New to the site so I hope someone can give some help. I have a Craftsman 944.601171 17.5 hp, 42 in deck. Anything I can find for the deck belt calls for belt pt# 144959 which is 95.5x 1/2. I have checked the routing 50 times if I did it once, this according to the diagram on the deck. VERY simple routing. There is no possible way that the belt will work as it falls off the engine pulley when it is engaged. I am hoping someone else has run across this problem and can give me some hope of ever getting the right belt. I have tried all kinds of length of belts . A 92x1/2 comes the closest. Thanks in advance.
Send a photo of the deck OFF the machine - with the routing of the belt to the front of the engine.

Bellcrank

Threads
And check the belt keepers are all in place.
Drop the deck down to the lowest position and lay on the ground on the LEFT NON DISCHARGE side of the mower
Have an assistant start the mower and engage the blades.
Watch to see where the belt jumps off.
I have a Go-Pro camera I use for this.
A cracked spindle housing can also cause the belt to jump off because when the load is applied it allows the whole housing to tilt and flip the belt off

jimbocanuk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Goodday to all. New to the site so I hope someone can give some help. I have a Craftsman 944.601171 17.5 hp, 42 in deck. Anything I can find for the deck belt calls for belt pt# 144959 which is 95.5x 1/2. I have checked the routing 50 times if I did it once, this according to the diagram on the deck. VERY simple routing. There is no possible way that the belt will work as it falls off the engine pulley when it is engaged. I am hoping someone else has run across this problem and can give me some hope of ever getting the right belt. I have tried all kinds of length of belts . A 92x1/2 comes the closest. Thanks in advance.
the 95 1/2 is the drive belt--the mower belt is 88 1/2
AYP144200 is what i use one on my 42 inch deck

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@riceski@gmail.com @jimbocanuk the issue was due to a incorrectly installed fixed idler pulley arm on the deck. OP put the fixed idler in the location that I posted about and went to mow as posted in #21

Threads
I had that problem on a 15.5 HP 42"and solved it. I will have to check my notes
rhotaling11@gmail.com

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tommy and Rhota, if you carefully read the entire thread, as IL said, problem has been solved.

milliswhitty

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't remember the belt part number but the manual is wrong. It's not your tractor deck. It happened to me many times. If I can find the # i'll get back to you. Any numbers off the old belt? Go to tractor supply and buy belts that are in the ball park and return the ones that don't fit. I have had to do that also. It's not your tractor. It drove me crazy.