Walk behind Craftsman 917.377700

pawpace

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rear wheels are sticking on my Craftsman mower when I pull it back.

I have cleaned the pinon gears and made sure everything was moving freely. It appears it may be in the gear box but before I tear that apart, I wanted to see if anyone else was having the same problem and what they did to fix.

Thanks

Mike

scott47429

Threads
the first thing i would do before you pull the trans out and apart is remove the wheels and clean in there real good and ;ube them up most of the time its grass and dirt that locks them up

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would also check the wheel bearings. Many times they are so worn and sloppy, causing the gears to bind, that they will not allow you to pull back.

pawpace

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the suggestions but I have done both. Everything moves freely and I blew out everything with my compressor.

jerrycmorrow

Threads
got the same problem with my 1 year old 917.370922. have found that sometimes if I push it forward a bit it will then freewheel backwards. eagerly awaiting a solution

primerbulb120

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was having the same problem with my Toro 20054 until Rivets told me to loosen the tension on the self-propel cable. The mower now rolls backward without locking up.