Export thread

Craftsman 917.377700

P

pawpace

Rear wheels are sticking on my Craftsman mower when I pull it back.

I have cleaned the pinon gears and made sure everything was moving freely. It appears it may be in the gear box but before I tear that apart, I wanted to see if anyone else was having the same problem and what they did to fix.

Thanks

Mike

scott47429

scott47429

the first thing i would do before you pull the trans out and apart is remove the wheels and clean in there real good and ;ube them up most of the time its grass and dirt that locks them up

R

Rivets

I would also check the wheel bearings. Many times they are so worn and sloppy, causing the gears to bind, that they will not allow you to pull back.

P

pawpace

Thanks for the suggestions but I have done both. Everything moves freely and I blew out everything with my compressor.

J

jerrycmorrow

got the same problem with my 1 year old 917.370922. have found that sometimes if I push it forward a bit it will then freewheel backwards. eagerly awaiting a solution

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

I was having the same problem with my Toro 20054 until Rivets told me to loosen the tension on the self-propel cable. The mower now rolls backward without locking up.