Export thread

Craftsman 917.377563 push mower still wont start

D

Dewel

I have a Craftsman 6.5hp eager1 push mower. It wasn't running so I took the carb apart cleaned it really well. It started and ran fine. I turned it off took off the blade, sharpened it. I put the blade back on and started the mower again and started mowing my lawn. I made one pass and it started rattling really bad. I shut it down and found I had not tightened the blade well enough. I tightened it down really well. I then tried to start it again but it will not. I get kickback when I pull the cord and sometimes it kinda backfires and white smoke will come out of the breather. I'm lost now please help.. I would say maybe the key was sheared but I didn't hit anything...

K

KennyV

WELCOME to these Forums...
I think you hit upon the problem...
Check the key on the flywheel... the loose blade rattling around 'could' be just enough shock on that small engine to shear it, (and this could happen to ANY small HP engine, NOT just Craftsman!)...
Simple & fast Check/Fix... :smile:KennyV

D

Dewel

WELCOME to these Forums...
I think you hit upon the problem...
Check the key on the flywheel... the loose blade rattling around 'could' be just enough shock on that small engine to shear it, (and this could happen to ANY small HP engine, NOT just Craftsman!)...
Simple & fast Check/Fix... :smile:KennyV

Thank you. Thats kinda what I thought too. I will have to check it out today. Thanks again.