Export thread

Craftsman 917.377151 won't start

F

fmitchelltx

I have a Craftsman 917.377151 that will not start. I can spray carb cleaner in the carb and it will run for maybe 2 seconds then die again. I put a carb kit in it last year. My stepson blew the carb out again a few weeks ago. It ran okay, although a little sluggish, for mowing my yard once, a week or so ago. It will not start again. It is the same problem as before my stepson blew out the carb. I use my riding mower mostly and use this push mower for getting close to the house, etc.

My stepson suggested I drill a very small hole in the gas cap to help the vacuum but that did not do any good either.

I know that it is a carb problem. Does anyone have any ideas what I should try next?

Thanks!

S

shiftsuper175607

I have a Craftsman 917.377151 that will not start. I can spray carb cleaner in the carb and it will run for maybe 2 seconds then die again. I put a carb kit in it last year. My stepson blew the carb out again a few weeks ago. It ran okay, although a little sluggish, for mowing my yard once, a week or so ago. It will not start again. It is the same problem as before my stepson blew out the carb. I use my riding mower mostly and use this push mower for getting close to the house, etc.

My stepson suggested I drill a very small hole in the gas cap to help the vacuum but that did not do any good either.

I know that it is a carb problem. Does anyone have any ideas what I should try next?

Thanks!

It sounds like a fuel flow problem.
Follow the fuel from and through the filter. I suspect it is a faulty fuel pump.

Does it have a solenoid on the bottom of the carb? It has to open also.

B

bertsmobile1

I rather think you will find that this is a bigger walk behind with a Quantum engine thus no fuel pump.

First thought is crud in the bottom of the fuel tank blocking off the fuel supply.
Slip off the fuel line and see what sort of fuel delivery you have.
If that is OK then pull the float bowl off and check you get a good fuel supply in the carb.
Slowly raise the float with your finger and note when the fuel stops.
The float should be parallel to the floor of the carby.

Next check the main jet, you blow it out with low pressure air from the inside out

F

fmitchelltx

Thank you very much. I will try those fixes and see what happens

F

fmitchelltx

I checked the fuel lines and all is good there. I then pulled the carb off, it was full of gas as it should be. I then blew it out again, The float is okay too. I tried to start it and still the same problem. It starts for a second if I spray carb cleaner in the carb but then dies. Any more ideas that I can try?

Thanks!

H

hrdman2luv

I checked the fuel lines and all is good there. I then pulled the carb off, it was full of gas as it should be. I then blew it out again, The float is okay too. I tried to start it and still the same problem. It starts for a second if I spray carb cleaner in the carb but then dies. Any more ideas that I can try?

Thanks!

Is the plug OK? It might be igniting the starting fluid but not the gas. When I first cranked my 19.5hp this year, I had to use about a 1/4 can of the stuff to get the gas to the fuel pump.

NorthBama

NorthBama

see if you can find your carb in these cleaning instructions
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/

F

fmitchelltx

Thank you, I will check out the link/ I have put a new spark plug on it. The choke linkage was almost frozen and I broke the throttle cable. I lubricated the choke linkage and ordered a new throttle cable. Probably just throwing away money, but we will see.

Thanks!