craftsman 917.370910 self propelled lawnmower blowing up smoke and shaking

marinesteban

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / craftsman 917.370910 self propelled lawnmower blowing up smoke and shaking
Good morning, new member here.

Have a 2yr old craftsman lawnmower that has been stored for a while, I took it out and try to crank it but it wouldn't.

I pull apart the carburetor and clean it up, new air filter and new spark plug; I also had to take apart the muffler as it was missing one of the bolts.
After putting everything together, it cranked up onthe first try but with a thick cloud of smoke and a violent shaking, a few seconds later it dies; it also sounds like something is grinding.

I pulled the filter after that and is clean, however, the muffler is flooded with oil, the oil level is slightly above the high mark.

Here are some pictures of the unit, the exhaust gasket, and a video

20140804_195113_zpstwi9ayyy.jpg

20140804_193339_zpsob6dwtxf.jpg

20140804_195130_zps1sfya2ty.jpg

20140804_193326_zpsbxzkeu0a.jpg

Any ideas or should I call the exorcist?
Thanks in advance.

gfp55

Threads
What does the oil look like? Does the oil smell like gas? Did you have the mower on it side at any time? Make sure the oil is not overfilled. Keep us posted

tigercat

Threads
I'd order a new carb with carb gasket.
The plug should be all wet with gas too. Change that again.

marinesteban

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, to my knowledge it hasn't been on it's side and the smoke doesn't smell like gas; is very thick and blue-ish which leads me to believe thats is raw oil burning; could it be a blown head gasket or piston ring?

He carb was fairly clean and all parts were moving freely, the gasket however was torn and I used a gasket "paste".

gfp55

Threads
Thanks, to my knowledge it hasn't been on it's side and the smoke doesn't smell like gas; is very thick and blue-ish which leads me to believe thats is raw oil burning; could it be a blown head gasket or piston ring?

He carb was fairly clean and all parts were moving freely, the gasket however was torn and I used a gasket "paste".
Does the oil in the crank case smell like gas? Not the smoke. Pull out the dipstick and smell the oil thats on the stick. Does it smell like gas?

marinesteban

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update:

I took some oil off to return the oil level to the recommended levels and put everything together; definitely less oil but it was still shaking and sputtering; I move the flywheel of the thermal choke with my hand and it seems that it was stuck; right after that it revved up to a warm up regimen.

After that I took the blade of and it was bended badly (I guess that's caused the shaking).

On my way to home depot to buy a new blade, I'll check the oil smell from the crank case when I'm back.

Thank you very much for the replies!