Craftsman 917.289240 stopped moving

the.doc

Threads
Engine runs fine and blades turn. Tractor won't go either forward or back. Drive belt is hard to see, but I can feel it in places. If it were broken, I think that I could pull it out. This mower has an automatic transmission with a transaxle. Transmission is controlled by a lever near my right knee: push lever forward to move forward; pull lever back to go backward; neutral in the middle. When I move the lever forward or back, I hear no change in the engine noise and the tractor does not move..

Forward motion suddenly stopped after I had started cutting grass. I had cut maybe 200 feet. I didn't hear anything; it just stopped moving; At first I thought I had run into an obstacle.

There's a wire hook sticking out of the back of the frame that disengages the transmission so that it can be pushed by hand. I can push it now with the transmission engaged, but it's much easier to do that with the transmission disengaged.

Bought it new in 2009. New solenoid a year or two ago; replaced battery a time or two. Other than that just routine maintenance. It's been a great machine. Advice much appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Test for drive belt
Release the parking brake , turn engine off
Remove the deck
Get under the mower
grab each side of the belt and push/pull the belt
If it is in good condition the you will be able to turn the engine over ( with difficulty )
If not the belt , pullies or tension arm are not working properly
I put a dab of white paint from a paint pen on it can I can tell the whole belt has passed through my hands.
While doing this I also check for cracks and chunks missing from the belt .

the.doc

Threads
Did that and found belt had jumped out of transaxle pulley and wedged tightly between pulley and fan. Had to take belt off idlers and front pulley to get enough slack to free it. Then the problem was to get it back on the idlers.

BeltOff.jpg

Found a lot of dirt under there and hosed it down.Letting it dry out overnight. Expecting it to crank and move normally tomorrow. Got some more questions but will use separate threads.

Thanks for the advice. I'd eventually have figured out that I needed to take the deck out, but Lord knows when.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Use a leaf blower or compressed air and SAFETY GLASSES next time.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Next question is how did the belt get where it is.

the.doc

Threads
Use a leaf blower or compressed air and SAFETY GLASSES next time.
Not sure that would have dislodged this stuff. Not dust; this was dirt and had taken the shape of the frame pieces and was stuck tightly.

the.doc

Threads
Next question is how did the belt get where it is.
Absolutely, and I have no idea. I'm hoping that somebody here knows. I was just riding along and cutting and suddenly it stopped moving for no apparent reason.

Thanks for the replies.

the.doc

Threads
Mowed the front yard with it yesterday. Everything back to normal. Thanks for the help.