Craftsman 917.288110 brakes

roncog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Everyone. I'm new to the forum. Doing brakes on Craftsman 917.288110 with a transaxle and I cannot get the brake disc off. I've tried soaking it in penetrating oil, banging on it and nothing.

Any ideas? The pad behind the disc is protruding and I can't get that to move in either.

Thanks

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Hey, welcome to the forum! As you can tell by my name, I love these riding mowers and know them all like the back of my hand lol. Anyway, I'm assuming you have the manual version, not the hydro variant, correct? For the manual transmission I would try to find a leverage point and try to pry it off with a flathead screwdriver or a crowbar. If you have the hydro... You really shouldn't even be in there lol, bring it to a mechanic to do the job right. Maybe upload a picture?

roncog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your response, much appreciated!

I'm a tinkerer with no background in this stuff. So, when you say manual, I am thinking you mean I have to depress the clutch/brake to shift gears? If so, yes. The mower was bought in 2001 or so.

I'll send pics as soon as i can. I've done brakes on a yard machine and the rotor popped right off. This on is really stuck on and I've read posts about cranking on it too hard can damage the axle.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't ever beat on a shaft. you risk flaring it making things even worst. Also this Dana D6800 parts are far and few now as many of the parts are NLA including the intermediate shaft that the brake rotor disc is on.

Now considering the age of this unit the splines are probably worn and would require careful positioning to even try to get it off. It might even disassembling the transaxle so the shaft can pressed out of the rotor.