Craftsman 917.287121 not starting

fliegendaffe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need a little help. I have a Craftsman 917.287121 that backfired twice today. After each time, my genius wife just shut it off when I have told it happens. Now the tractor will not start and I am trying to trouble shoot it. I just replaced the ignition coil and spark plug just 2 weekends ago. Fuel and air are getting into the chamber. I am getting a voltage reading at the connector from the ignition coil, but no spark or start. I don't want to believe the spark plug is bad after 2 uses of the mower. Any help?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you get a voltage reading at the ignition coil then you have fried the electronic chip that works the coil.
The small wire is a ground wire and should never ever show voltage.

So now we need you to tell us carefully and in the fullest details exactly what you did when replacing the coil, which coil you fitted, where you got it from and the engine your mower has fitted, brand and numbers.

fliegendaffe

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you get a voltage reading at the ignition coil then you have fried the electronic chip that works the coil.
The small wire is a ground wire and should never ever show voltage.

So now we need you to tell us carefully and in the fullest details exactly what you did when replacing the coil, which coil you fitted, where you got it from and the engine your mower has fitted, brand and numbers.

Actually I should be getting a brief voltage reading at the coil when I put one lead in the sleeve and ground the other lead on the block.

I replaced the Ignition coil with the direct Briggs and Stratton replacement part. I also gapped it at .011 per the manual.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Actually I should be getting a brief voltage reading at the coil when I put one lead in the sleeve and ground the other lead on the block.

I replaced the Ignition coil with the direct Briggs and Stratton replacement part. I also gapped it at .011 per the manual.

Well if you know more than me I am wasting my time trying to help you good luck and good bye.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no way you can get a voltage reading from the coil unless you have an instantaneous reading and holding meter. You may be getting a voltage spike, but probably not near the 15K VDC you need to fire the plug under compression. As Bert said, "you know more than me" which would also include so I can't help you either.