Craftsman 917.28008 54" Deck and 24 HP Kohler, experiencing wheel spin

Duckshot

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 917.28008 54" Deck and 24 HP Kohler, experiencing wheel spin
I apologize if this is a dumb question or has been answered some where else. I have a Craftsman lawn tractor still under warranty. If one of my rear tires gets no traction it will get all the power and spin like mad, but the side with traction won't move at all. Is this normal? I have tested this by jacking up my mower and stopping one tire with my finger (doesn't take much) the other tire spins like crazy. With my older mowers both rear tires got the same amount of power all the time. I am also having a heck of a time backing up with my tow behind cart (a 12 cubic foot model), much worse than I've experienced with my previous mowers. Thanks for any help.

Threads
I apologize if this is a dumb question or has been answered some where else. I have a Craftsman lawn tractor still under warranty. If one of my rear tires gets no traction it will get all the power and spin like mad, but the side with traction won't move at all. Is this normal? I have tested this by jacking up my mower and stopping one tire with my finger (doesn't take much) the other tire spins like crazy. With my older mowers both rear tires got the same amount of power all the time. I am also having a heck of a time backing up with my tow behind cart (a 12 cubic foot model), much worse than I've experienced with my previous mowers. Thanks for any help.

Yep its just like a limited slip rearend on a car, or truck. Get you some Carlisle super lugs thats what I did, and it cured the problem. I got mine from mgrassroots.com they work very well for traction.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Duckshot,
Sometimes a "quick fix" for bad tractionis to look in your manual for the recommended PSI for the rear tires and inflate them to 2-3 PSI "less" than the recommended pressure. I'd try that before buying new tires.

Threads
Duckshot,
Sometimes a "quick fix" for bad tractionis to look in your manual for the recommended PSI for the rear tires and inflate them to 2-3 PSI "less" than the recommended pressure. I'd try that before buying new tires.

Yep I tried that to but at 10psi factory any lower is almost flat, and if he is looking for extra stability as well as traction an under inflated tire is not stable.