Craftsman 917.272011 electronic clutch

2sellallcars

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone

Have the craftsman’s 917.272011 riding mower. Runs like a champ. Clutch stop spending and was bound up. Ordered a new one online. Installed and still not working.
I have done the following. Test the wire with the pull switch for continuity and also voltage. When pulling the knob to engage the clutch it shuts down the mower. The seat safety switch is good cause when I lift the seat with not being on there the mower dies. So just leave weights in the seat.
When I put the new wiring on the clutch, not sure if I reversed the wires at the clutch themselves.i am stumped on this one. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the deck belt is installed remove it and try again to confirm that the deck doesn't have a binding issue. Also can you drive the mower or does that also cause a shutdown.

2sellallcars

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the deck belt is installed remove it and try again to confirm that the deck doesn't have a binding issue. Also can you drive the mower or does that also cause a shutdown.
Drives no problems. Forward and backwards and shifts with no issues. But as soon as I pull the plunger (red or black knob for blades to engage) the mower dies. That switch is also brand new that engages the blades

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like that mower has a relay. Pin 85 on the relay gets its power from the seat switch. If no power or the relay has failed will create a direct path to ground shutting off spark.

2sellallcars

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like that mower has a relay. Pin 85 on the relay gets its power from the seat switch. If no power or the relay has failed will create a direct path to ground shutting off spark.
If I lift the seat up while the mower is running. It kills the mower. Does that mean the seat switch is working?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The fact that you can drive the mower kind of indicates that the seat switch and the relay are working. Lets try this, with the mower not running and you sitting on the seat or weight in the seat and you engage the pto switch does the clutch engage with a click/cluck. Or you can also try disconnecting the clutch and then with the mower running and the seat occupied engage the pto switch and see if it still dies.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The fact that you can drive the mower kind of indicates that the seat switch and the relay are working. Lets try this, with the mower not running and you sitting on the seat or weight in the seat and you engage the pto switch does the clutch engage with a click/cluck. Or you can also try disconnecting the clutch and then with the mower running and the seat occupied engage the pto switch and see if it still dies.
Ignition switch must be in the run position to try this.

1718195597002.png