Craftsman 917.270810 Riding Mower stopped and won't restart

Indywar2

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 917.270810 Riding Mower stopped and won't restart
This weekend I was mowing the lawn with this tractor and then turned it off. I started it again mowed some more and turned it off. Everything was working properly to this point. I ate lunch, and tried restarting it. It would crank, but wouldn't roll over. I just got done changing the oil and spark plugs 2 weeks ago. I also just replaced the battery.

Any advice as to what should be checked?

Thanks,
Rob

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This weekend I was mowing the lawn with this tractor and then turned it off. I started it again mowed some more and turned it off. Everything was working properly to this point. I ate lunch, and tried restarting it. It would crank, but wouldn't roll over. I just got done changing the oil and spark plugs 2 weeks ago. I also just replaced the battery.

Thanks,
Rob
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By roll over I assume you mean fire ?
Check for spark at the plugs
If no spark then the ignition cut out circuit will be the culprit.
There are several switches which will all earth out the spark and they re all independant of each other.
Seat switch, PTO switch, brake switch & Reverse switch

hrdman2luv

Threads

Thanks,
Rob

Could be a number of things...

Safety switch going bad. Carburetor solenoid, coil. Key switch. Lot's of video's on testing these things on Youtube.

If it's the fuel sloenoid, I've heard that you can snip the end off it. The end being the end that sticks up into the carb. Not the end with the wires... I haven't done it. But I know there's a video of it on Youtube.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Raise seat and check switch plunger for being stuck.

tigercat

Threads
Raise seat and check switch plunger for being stuck.

Yes, seat switch could do this (engine will crank but not run).

It's not the clutch / brake switch or blade engagement switch (as the engine will not crank over).

Spark plug wire fall off? No gas in tank? Carb solenoid fail? Ignition switch fail? Did you flood the engine?

Check your fuses? I don't know if it would crank with a bad fuse or not.